Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Vegan Risotto Love


Hey :) I'm excited about this post because..... I've always adored risotto. I've left my former heavy, outrageously cheesy, chicken-brothy risotto days behind with my other other icky food habits and I'm moving forward with new vegan twists on risotto.

I tried my first vegan risotto recipe last week on a date night. I loved it and he loved it. He's not remotely close to a vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian or even a flexitarian hahah. So this recipe is non-vegan taste bud approved :)

I snapped some photos with my SLR, but this was before I realized my cord was officially MIA. So an iPhone picture my date snapped with his iPhone of his phone will have to do... My plate consisted of the risotto and a different spinach salad, and no piece of french loaf. However I figured since I was cooking vegan risotto, I would bake a french loaf and toss a caesar salad just for him to make up for it. Sweet girl, I know :)
Here's the recipe I used, adapted from the Post Punk Kitchen

one SMALL sweet onion, chopped
two cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 pint of vegetable stock
one bunch of asparagus
1 cup arborio rice
3/4 cup of white wine
dash of onion powder, chicken seasoning, red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste

"Cut a three inch tip from each stalk of asparagus and put aside. Cut the rest of each stalk into half-inch sections.
Fry the onion and garlic on a medium heat for five minutes or until beginning to soften, then add the small pieces if asparagus and cook for five minutes.
Add the rice and fry it for one minute, then add the glass of wine and stir it through.
Add a splash of stock, and stir until it begins to absorb into the rice.
Continue adding a little stock at a time, and keep stirring. After about 10 minutes put about half an inch of water on to boil in the small pan. When it comes to the boil, put in the asparagus tips and let them steam.
After about 20 minutes all the stock will be absorbed, the rice will be soft and your arm will be weary from stirring.
Put the rice onto plates and serve with the steamed asparagus spears on top"

And for my twist for some extra flavah :)
Add the extra seasonings while frying the onions and garlic.
Enjoy friends xoxo


2 comments: